Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Year 2, Week 19 (Days 494 - 500)


500 Days of wearing bow ties. 

The midpoint of this endurance challenge is not unlike the other events I've trained for, but getting this far warrants no particular recognition or praise from others. For the last 500 days, I've simply done what I would have normally chosen to do - the only difference is that you've been invited to peek into my closet and join the adventure that is my life. 

I set out to wear a bow tie on 1,000 consecutive days to raise awareness of the achievement gap - to let folks know that I represent a cause, a movement, an effort to address an injustice within the educational system in America. 

I've made a lot of new friends, received a lot of encouraging words, provoked a few quizzical looks on the streets, engaged in a couple of conversations about education, and even earned some recognition for my work in Bushwick - but my rationale for continuing on this quest seems different lately as I consider how my views on education have changed over the course of my 13 years as a public school teacher in NYC and as a father of three over the last 8 years. More on my perspective as a parent in a future post.

For now, know that I'm resolved to finish what I started. 500 more days of wearing a bow ties - let's go.

This week, I'd like to shout out the following sponsors:

No comments:

Post a Comment

1000daysofbowties.com reserves the right to withhold or delete any questionable comments.