Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Year 2, Week 21 (Days 508-514)


"I do not teach anyone. I only provide the environment in which they can learn." Albert Einstein

About thirty percent of our current sixth grade class earned seats on this year's End of Year Trip. The picture above does not feature any of the kiddos that embarked on a three-day adventure into the wilderness. 

Nope. 

This is one of the groups of boys and girls who stayed behind - with me and a couple of other 6th grade teachers last week. In addition to teaching math to these scholars, I also signed myself up to teach fitness once a day. I had each of the children perform three rounds of three exercises daily, with each round followed up by a lap around our school's track and then a timed game of kickball - all while wearing their backpack filled with books (not weighing more than 5-6lbs). 

Aside from giving kids a glimpse of what my world is like (It is not uncommon for me to walk around the building with 7 bricks in my backpack for the duration of the school day.) the exercises were planned with the hope that my students would walk away with a clear idea of simple exercises they could do at home on their own. I was happily surprised by how many scholars seemed to enjoy an opportunity to put math aside for a few moments and get out into the school yard for the exercise!

Here are this week's featured sponsors: 








No comments:

Post a Comment

1000daysofbowties.com reserves the right to withhold or delete any questionable comments.