Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Day 871: A GORUCK Tough Wife

What goes best with diamond point chocolate bow ties? 
How about thoughts of Lily!
This past weekend was an incredibly special weekend for team Vasquez, and I appreciate the opportunity to share a little bit of it from my perspective.

After 13.5 hours over the course of approximately 12+ miles of rucking around NYC with nearly 30lbs in her ruck, my wife earned her first GORUCK Tough patch. 

The sense of pride and inspiration I have to be called her teammate, her BFF and her spouse exceeds anything I've come close to feeling after anything I've accomplished on my own - not because of the simplicity with which she completed another endurance challenge (she's already completed three GORUCK Lights) but the grace, the composure, the intestinal fortitude that was on display throughout the event. 

Lily and I at the endex. Patch in one hand, she grabs my shirt with the other to wipe away tears of exhaustion.
No amount of rain (did I mention it rained for 8+ hours), physical pain or emotional distress was going to keep her from finishing what she started. She smiled constantly, looked out for others and embraced every opportunity to motivate, to crack a joke, and to ... slap my backside. Aside from the fact that our buddy kept yelling out her name (thank you, Johnny Grapes), you would probably not even be able to tell it was her first Challenge. 

What made it even more special was the fact that there were so many other new faces to GORUCK, friends we had made at a previous Light and two very familiar cadre who methodically planned how we would memorialize the fallen (considering this event happened to be on Memorial Day weekend and was the first week after the tragic passing of a member of the GORUCK community). 

After an active rest day that included church services and softball, Lily and I also had the opportunity to complete a hero wod together (a workout specifically written to memorialize a fallen serviceman) on Memorial Day. Not only was it a sobering reminder to remember those who've made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom in America, but it was an inspiring reminder of why I'm fortunate to have Lily in my life. She could have easily chosen to rest and enjoy the holiday in any other fashion, but instead  actively motivated me to do something in honor of someone else, something greater than us. 

Lily joined me for this wod, which took me about
30 minutes to finish. Her time? Closer to 25 min.
Lily, my dear, you're awesome. I look forward to another week together. Just make sure you clean out your ruck, please. The apartment is starting to smell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

1000daysofbowties.com reserves the right to withhold or delete any questionable comments.